Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Struggles with Powers of 10...

I posed the following question to students today and for some, it was particularly challenging...

"How is the 7 digit in 781,000 DIFFERENT from the 7 digit in 17?"

I got looks like I was crazy...About 3/5 of the class understood after some explanation.  the other 2/5 were still struggling.  I explained that as one moves through a place value chart each place increases 10 times.  So the 7 in 17 is 7x1 but when you move that 7 all the way to the 100,000 place, it is the same as 7x100,00.  I took this picture for you to see if it helps you to help explain this question. 
Thanks for helping me on this one...This is a high level Common Core State Standard we are addressing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! All students in my class need to identify yourself by first name and last initial ONLY. If you are not a student in my class, please refrain from commenting or engaging in conversation with my students. All comments will be moderated. Any comment deemed inappropriate by the moderator will not be published and may be turned over to proper authorities.